Access to HE Diploma Moderator – Computing (Freelance)
OCN London is seeking to appoint a Computing specialist to contribute to the work of the Access to HE team.
Although we work with Access to HE providers based throughout England, for this role, we are particularly seeking a specialist who is based in London or able to travel to undertake moderation at Access to HE providers in the Greater London area.
External moderators play an important role in OCN London’s quality assurance strategy by ensuring that the operation and assessment of Access to HE Diploma courses are valid, reliable, fit for purpose and inclusive.
Subject specialist moderators are allocated moderation responsibilities at two or more centres to moderate one or more courses that come within your area of subject expertise.
Access to HE Diploma courses usually run from September to July. A mid-year moderation engagement is completed by the moderation team halfway through the year (usually February or March) – this may take the form of a half-day visit to the provider or an online moderation.
A Final Moderation visit is made at the end of the academic year (June or July) to confirm the learners’ achievement of the Diploma. Moderators are also required to participate in a training session in January.
The applicant may be appointed to moderate (click on the links to find out more about the qualifications):
Occasionally, there are other opportunities for external moderators to be involved in development work for Access to HE Diplomas, such as by producing exemplar assessment materials, being involved in unit reviews and validation panels or facilitating standardisation events.
Applicants will be required to demonstrate
- Sound understanding of the Access to HE Diploma
- A degree in Computing or a related subject area, or relevant industrial/professional experience (where the degree is in a related subject area, experience of studying maths at Level 4 or above is desirable).
- Experience of teaching Computing or a related subject area at Level 3 or above
- Commitment to equality of opportunity and widening participation
Experience of adult teaching and learning
- Excellent interpersonal skills, proven organisational ability and report writing skills
If you think you have what it takes to become an OCN London Access to HE moderator, please email an up-to-date CV to email@example.com